For the final exhibition at John Hansard Gallery Central, we welcome a collaborative project with artist duo Juneau Projects, celebrating the value of creativity in its widest forms. In a fitting end to this chapter in the gallery’s city centre story, I am the Warrior will be a playful, ever-evolving display that reveals the breadth and ambition of our creative passions.
From knitting to video art, poetry to model railways, the exhibition’s material will be the result of a free submission process with entirely open criteria. Works can be submitted at any time during opening hours and throughout the exhibition, with no restrictions as to the type of artwork, craft or hobby accepted. We are interested in anything you consider creative and that you have made yourself.
Wishing to be accessible to as broad audience as possible, this is set to be a democratic celebration of creative expression. Juneau Projects are interested in the ways in which people are motivated to make things by creative desire, not by thought of commercial gain. This is the third incarnation of the duo’s I am the Warrior project, most recently showing to great acclaim at the Pumphouse Gallery in London in 2011.
Time-lapse film of the installation:
Celebrating Creativity – we want your art, craft and hobby work for our final exhibition at JHG Central!
Painting, Ceramics, Photography, Felt Making, Fanzines, Songs, Sculpture, Costumes, Carving, Embroidery, Model Railways, Musical Instruments, War Gaming Miniatures, Video Art, Poems, Masks, Knitting, Performance, Pavement Art, Collage, Upholstery and more…
* We are interested in anything you consider creative and that you have made yourself.
* Work can be submitted at any time throughout the exhibition and will be shown on a constantly evolving display.
* There are no restrictions as to the type of artwork, craft or hobby work you can submit but you must be able to deliver your work to the gallery during our opening times, 11am to 6pm, Tuesday to Saturday (closed Sundays, Mondays and Bank Holidays).
* Up to three works per person may be submitted.
* Works should not be worth more than £250, and will not be exhibited for sale in this exhibition.
* Please contact us before submitting works that are over 1 metre in any of their dimensions as there is limited vehicle access.
* We will not be providing any specialist or AV equipment for displaying the art works, but would be happy to discuss your requirements.
All works will be registered on submission at the Gallery. For further information please contact Val Drayton, John Hansard Gallery on 023 8059 4209 or firstname.lastname@example.org
, or we look forward seeing your submissions from the opening date.
All works will need to be collected on close of exhibition on Saturday 27 April, 2013. Please keep an eye on this page and our Facebook
pages for further updates.
Disclaimer: The gallery is visited by a broad audience including children and families, so whilst we seek to invite a range of creative expression, occasionally some submissions may be inappropriate for the space and/or for our audiences. We therefore reserve the right not to display work that we think would be likely to cause offence, or is hazardous to our visitors.
Juneau Projects: I am the Warrior featured in the Southern Daily Echo on Saturday 16 March 2013. Click here for the article.