At the John Hansard Gallery, we believe that contemporary art offers immense scope for learning and can reveal new perspectives on the world, and ourselves. Our education programme embeds core parts of the Arts Award within our work with schools, by providing opportunities in which young people can:
• Take part in the arts – participating in practical, artist-led workshops. We offer workshops tailored for schools and activities that young people can take part in during the holidays.
• Be the audience – interactive exhibition talks and tours.
• Arts inspiration – opportunities to find out more about artists through an extended talk and tour activity. Young people can also do this independently by accessing information about artists online via our artist interviews resource on you tube. Alternatively, they can visit us and utilise the resources available in the Gallery.
• Share a skill – sharing new skills they have learned as part of a workshop within an extended plenary.
• Form a view – opportunities for young people to present and/or communicate their view about an arts/cultural issue as part of a discussion workshop.
• Arts Leadership – we provide bespoke opportunities for young people to develop their leadership and project management skills through the Creative Employment Programme and/or work shadowing days and careers talks/days.
In addition we can further support and enhance your Arts Award work by offering:
Discover in a Day – these one-day workshops can either provide young people with their first introduction to Arts Award and/or enhance their portfolio work on other levels (for e.g, Explore, Bronze and Silver).
Explore/Bronze in a Day Taster workshops – kick starting young people’s Explore or Bronze Art Award portfolio’s by taking part in a practical workshop which also reviews an exhibition.
Arts Award Hub days – during the summer holidays we are running free Arts Award open days for young people working towards their Arts Award across all levels, to work with JHG Arts Award Advisors and extend their portfolios.
By developing a relationship with the Gallery, through these supporter offers we can become a key partner in your Artsmark application.